tirsdag 31. mars 2009

Student Challenge

I have entered a student challenge and this is the taks i chose:

"Your story of how blogging has helped you connect to a global audience and what this connection has meant to you. e.g. the friends you have made, what you have learnt about other cultures, how you are able to share your passions with others, how you are able to use blogging to share your views on topics."

I had never thought of blogging as a way of learning in school. One day one of our teachers told us that we had to make our own blog and post our assignments on it, we were also told to be creative with it. For me it did not seem to interesting at first. It was all very “mechanic”, and I did not enjoy doing it. Then our English teacher told us we had to make another blog, for her class. My first thought was: “Oh, not another blog!”
After some time I started to get used to this whole project, and actually started to enjoy it. We were also told that we could use pages as www.glogster.com to make our work a little more interesting. The work became more creative and I started to post more than the assignments we were given at school. A few weeks ago our English teacher introduced us to a new project, to communicate with American students for Louisiana through our blogs. This all seemed very cool! Suddenly I was getting comments on my English Social Studies blog and that was a lot of fun. Having other students on the same level looking through your work was a little scary at first, but I got used to it. We also got to leave comments to their blogs. I feel that during the rest of this school year, the Norwegian and American students will have a great opportunity to learn from each other and maybe become friends. We have already seen pictures from each others hometowns and learned a bit how they work when they are at school. For example, the American students don’t use computers in every class like we do.

Besides making possible friends, I feel that blogging is a perfect way to express your opinions. You can post whatever you like and you have the right to do it as well. So far I haven’t posted too much outside of school. My little sister on the other hand is a good example. She has made her own personal blog where she expresses her feelings around every subject that concerns her. All from animal rights to fashion! She has gained a lot of friends online and she also sells clothes. I would say that she is an inspiration to keep blogging after school is finished. I feel that I have learned a lot from blogging, not just from my own blog and how it is to blog, but how people react to others. I have seen some provoking posts, and it is very helpful when it comes to school papers and so on. All in all, I feel blogging is a great way to learn how to be creative and a great way to share your own passions.

To join the student challenge follow this link:

http://theedublogger.edublogs.org/2009/03/27/the-student-blogging-challenge-celebration/#comment-3649

Carina :)

9 kommentarer:

Sue Waters sa...

Hi Carina, thanks for entering the Student Competition. What can I say? I'm totally impressed by the posts that you and your fellow students are writing.

Each of you have shared amazing glimpses into how blogging has impacted your school life. I was also interested to read how difference approaches by the teachers has changed how you view blogging. Do you think it is because on your second blog you were shown how to be more creative?

Do you mind me asking what year level (age) is your class?

Carra's Verden sa...

Thank you very much :)

Absolutely, I believe that the creative part has helped me a lot :) It makes it so much more fun to blog when you can do "a little bit of this, a little bit of that."

The age level in my class i 18 and 19. We are seniors :)

Sue Waters sa...

Thanks Carra for letting me know. I think one of you told me how long you have all been blogging for but can you tell me again? i.e. how long have you been required to use a blog at school?

Carra's Verden sa...

I only have this blog, that is only ment for school assignments. I have one blog that is for english social studies, and one for my norwegian class. So I have only been blogging since the school required it, which is about a year ago :)

tasteach sa...

Congratulations on your win in the Edublogger student competition. Make sure you visit the Edublogger to get your badge which you can add to your blog.

Gah sa...

Hey, Carina!

Congratulations on winning the challenge-thing! Keep posting, although I will probably not read it anyway.

Carra's Verden sa...

Wow! Thank you very much :D

Congratulations to you as well Magnus :D haha!!

Unknown sa...

Congratulations Carina! And btw, thank you so much for signing my pants!<333 haha

Anonym sa...

When I came across this blog post it caught my eye because I felt like I could relate to it a great deal. I am in my second college English class and we use so much technology and social networks as well as my first English class. I have never had a blog before college and it has taken me a while to get used to it and get a feel of what to write. Now that I've overcome my hesitance to sharing my thoughts online I enjoy it and want to start blogging outside of my classroom.